Tuesday, March 29, 2005

A word about my fitness program

First of all you have to figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the rate your body would burn calories if you did nothing but lie in bed all day. The easy way to figure out this is to take 10 times your ideal body weight. For me for example I take 220 lbs * 10 to come up with 2200 Calories BMR per day. When cutting weight you simply need burn more calories than you take in. For each 3500 calories that you burn beyond what you take in you loose 1 lb. When cutting weight I like to limit my calories to about 1800 a day (9 calories per lb of my 200 lbs of lean body mass) to create a 400 calorie deficit and then burn an additional 1000 calories per day through exercise. This creates a 1400 calorie per day deficit and if I do this 5 days a week I have a deficit of about 7000 calories and loose 2 lbs. I find that if I lower my calorie intake below 9 calories times my lean body weight I get sluggish, don't have enough fuel to exercise and also end up burning off muscle in addition to fat. I try to workout 2 times a day atleast 4 hours apart because exercise boosts your metabolism and doing more that 1 session in a day means that your metabolism is boosted for a longer time in that day.

Its imporant to never be hungry. You body trys to stay the same, so if you don't eat enough your metabolism actually slows down. In order to achieve this without insulin spikes (which cause excess blood suger to be stored as fat) I try to eat 5 smaller portions per day. I eat at 9 am, Noon, 3 pm, 6 pm and at 9 pm before bed. In addition I try to take in 200 Grams of Protein (1 gram for each lb of lean body mass) which is impossible to do without using protein suppliments such was Whey Protein Shakes. I also try to take in 8-12 glasses of water and limit food to low gycemic (i.e. low sugar) foods. Basically if I am finding myself eating something other than meat (protien), veggies or vegetables, I am carefull not to eat too much.

Low glycemic: apples, oranges, pears, plums, grapes, bananas (firm), grapefruit and low-sugar fresh fruits, oatmeal, brown rice, "Converted" rice, spaghetti and egg fettuccine (surprisingly),
whole-wheat pasta, bran cereal, other whole, barley, bulgur, basmati, Kashi and other whole grains, beans, peas (esp. chick and black-eyed), lentils, whole corn, sweet potato, yams,
milk (preferably low-fat), partial-protein carbohydrates such as yogurt and soy, and even "sugar"or maltose. in the form of fructose (found in fruits) or lactose (found in dairy products), but not as glucose
Remember: Suger raises insulin and when glucose stores are full, it helps store extra calories as FAT

High glycemic: fruit juice, white bread, most "wheat" bread (which is usually just white bread with a little fiber added), white rice, baked white potato, bagels, croissants, pretzels, graham crackers, vanilla wafers, waffles, corn chips, cornflakes, cake, jelly beans, sugary drinks, Gatorade, beer.
Note: high glycemic foods are often either white or highly processed.

No comments: