Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Break the Cycle.

Each year I start out Fat, get motivated to Climb Mt Hood around my birthday and ultimately get back into a completely healthy life cycle. Every year I get started, get about half way there and then quit unexpectedly. This year my #1 focus in life is my health. I will be 32 years old this year and I have not been "fit" since 2000, the year I got married and briefly in 2005 after working out solid for 5 months (lost 35 lbs that time). In 1997 I decided to end my wrestling career (225 wrestling weight) and start my beer drinking one. By the time I graduated from college in 1998 I weighed in at 265. On Jan 1st 1999 I decided to make some changes and over the course of the next year I got into the best shape of my life working out daily, climbing mountains (14 that summer) and ultimately finding a perfect weight for my frame of 235. In January of 2000 I met my future wife and got married that summer. From 2000 - to Sept of 04 I focused on my career and new family and gained approx 10 lbs a year until ultimately I weighed 285 lbs. In September of 2004 I decided I had had enough and joined a gym. Between Sept and February I dropped 35 lbs and felt pretty good at 250. Life and marriage would be difficult that spring and instead of using exercise to eliminate stress, I went back to food. In 06 and 07 I started each year by hiking on New Years day and committing to climbing Mt Hood by my birthday. Each year I lost 10 to 15 lbs and then suddenly ran out off steam as my focus went elsewhere. This past summer I remodeled a house and midway through it despite being tired I was forced to continue as I had obligations to meet to get the project done. I focused on something very physical for several months and its through this experience that I believe I can focus on myself in this 2008. I always judge how things are going by my relationships, my career and $$$ and how well I am doing physically. I truly believe that my career, marriage, family and friends are doing so well that I can have a singular focus on getting back into that wrestler / climber body that I knew and miss so desperately. 1/1/08 I stepped on the scale and was amazed that I was 300 lbs. My goal over the next 20 weeks is to lose 3 lbs per week and arrive at 240 lbs in time for my 32nd B-day. It's 1/8/08 and I have been to the gym 5 times already, been eating right and intend on going back tonight. This morning I weighed in at 292....a good start but this year.....I am breaking the cycle.

No comments: