Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Perfect Day in Kona (Day 1)

Today was a perfect day (except for the Walmart Trip with the kids....that was hell)
I woke up at 7 AM (9 AM Portland time) and walked down to the ocean to find some breakfast. I shared some local fruit with some pretty little tropical birds while sipping on Kona coffee. Sitting 2 feet from crashing waves, sipping the most amazing coffee in my life, I got inspired. Yesterday we arrived and found out the 1) Taxi's are expensive and 2) You need a car to get around Kona, not to mention the BIG island. We were going to get one on Monday but we needed one now. It's 40 bucks back to the Airport, but I have 2 cups of Kona coffee in me and I feel GREAT. Why not just walk? 11 miles later (thank you Jen for the Techno music), I arrived at Kona International and picked up my Chrysler 300. Big Powerful engine, Beautiful....but what a piece of crap inside (20K miles and the door already makes noise, etc.) American car manufacturers have A LOT to learn, but I guess we all knew that. Anyway....I guess everyone in PDX is under a foot of snow because I got about 10 responses to my Facebook status post telling them I was enjoying the 77 degrees and cool breeze, but their responses were either I am so happy for you or F off. After I picked up the girls we went to the local farmers market. Like the rest of the country Hawaii is trying out this buy local thing. Picked up some fruit for tomorrow's breakfast and got a beautiful dress for Isobel and a Hawaiian shirt for me plus some trinkets. Next we went to Walmart to buy stuff from China (nearly everything is from China...Hawaiian shirts for 1/2 the price I bought from the local.) Anyway....couple hours in Walmart with kids is hell and everyone got frustrated and tired...funny thing is when we first got to Walmart Isobel noted how miserable everyone looked. Buy local. Tomorrow we go see the Volcano.

No comments: