Saturday, November 16, 2013

Hike #4 (11/15/13)-Larch-Xmas Ornament-Bikel-Franklin-Oneonta

I took a mental health day and made my way to Multnomah Falls (after sleeping in until nearly noon) with the intention of popping over Franklin Ridge and down the Oneonta drainage.  
On the way up to Franklin I was intrigued by the High Water trail and decided to head up.  I was further intrigued by another unmarked side trail.  Well this wasn't my goal for the day but with a turn around time in mind and the fact that these trails and road were generally heading in the right direction I continued on.  I am glad I did as soon I was grinning ear to ear as I walked through a magical trail with hundreds of x-mas ornaments hanging from the trees!
Continuing on across the Multnomah Basin I soon encountered the beautiful Nesika Lodge.  (Owned by the Trails Club whose members I hope to ask questions of at the Meet and Deet)

Next I took in the views from Bikel's Point which looks down on Waespe Point and to the east.  
Ok, time to turn around?  What's this sign beckoning me to continue to Franklin Ridge?  If I headed up I would most definitely be using 1 of the 2 headlamps I was carrying....let's do it!  Climbed up to the intersection with Oneonta, put on my heavy coat as it was getting cold near 3000 ft with dwindling daylight and donned my headlamp.  Took one last picture of Oneonta drainage before the sun went down completely.  

Ok, don't panic...you have extra clothes, food, water, extra batteries....just enjoy the experience of being the only person in this place at that time.  That said the deluge of rain and the ups and downs on the 400 return trail to Multnomah Falls did suck but loved writing down 6 hours and at-least 3000 feet of up in my hike log on a work day!  One question.  How far did I go (GPS went haywire?)
Share

No comments: